Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Bagged Milk

As a result of our late night yesterday, Reluca allowed me to come in at 11 instead of 10 today. However I still woke up at 6:30 due to jetlag. I do hope it clears up soon. I arrived at the office 10 minutes early due to the fact that I still don’t know how long it will take me to get certain places. I met Christina this morning, another volunteer with the European Volunteer Service (which I’ll refer to as EVS from now on as it looks like I’ll be mentioning it often) whose main service lies with an orphanage in the Botanica of Chisinau, one of the five main sectors of the capital. She is from Holland, and has been here ten months already. She and almost everyone I’ve met through EVS have already learned Romanian and/or Russian fluently. So impressive! She and a few other EVS members are planning to meet at a pub tonight to watch the Netherlands vs. Australia match, so I may join them.

I went to the supermarket with Christina to get lunch this afternoon. It was crowded but I wandered around and ended up getting a croissant with chocolate filling. And it was delicious! I would marry a croissant if I could. What I found most interesting about Moldova’s supermarkets is that they package their milk in bags! I forgot to get a picture, but next time I’ll be sure to. Labelled Lapte, the Romanian word for milk, the bags are either rectangular or pyramidal, so they can sit in the fridge with one edge cut but still spill proof.
I almost forgot to mention the AMAZING dinner Vera made last night that I had for breakfast this morning. She put together some stuffed green peppers and pilaf and it was out of this world! I’ve never had pilaf because I didn’t know what it was and I’m never bold enough to go out my way to try new things. Well I tried the pilaf and my palate was blown. Vera had made it out of chopped peppers, ground beef, carrots, and probably some other ingredients that perfected it. I’ll definitely be bringing that recipe back with me.


I’m back in Tucano with my Frozzychino Caramelo. Like I said, I didn’t try something else because I don’t like change. When I’m feeling particularly courageous, it will happen. I’m desperate to know what “Cannabis” coffee tastes like. I also got some kind of healthy carrot cake with walnuts in it. It’s not so sweet but still moist which is why I like it.


Finally an adorable picture of Masya. She's decided my bag is now hers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment