Monday, June 23, 2014

Plăcinte and și Mămăligă

Over the weekend I was able to visit a few places like the MallDOVA, the Museum of Etymology and Natural History, and La Plăcinte. On Saturday Vera took me to Chisinau’s mall, which is four stories high and I believe the largest mall in the country. There are many clothing and shoe shops there. I was looking out for a pair of shoes to wear when it rains here because my Toms got soaked last week. Instead I bought a pair of pants because I am sorely in need of a bigger wardrobe. I really screwed up that one in my packing!!

            For dinner Vera and I tried out the Japanese restaurant in MallDOVA. I got the tori don, which was not as good as what I can have back home, but that is why I am here, right? To enjoy and revel in the pleasures that Moldova can offer me! And that is exactly what I have been doing!

            On Sunday afternoon myself, Angee, Marina from American Councils, and Angee's host twins Ioana and Christina visited the museum. Our tour guide thankfully spoke English and we all learned much about Moldova’s history of secession, civil and inter-country wars, and independence, as well as culture.  Afterward we went to the city’s emporium and saw a number of interesting birds I have never set my eyes upon in the US.




 Following the museum tour and emporium we walked to La Plăcinte, a restaurant a little northwest of the center of Chisinau. We ordered many traditional dishes like mămăligă (a porridge-cornbread like food) and of course, plăcinte (bread with different types of vegetables in them). We had sarma (stuffed cabbage rolls) for dinner tonight, another Moldovan cuisine. So almost everything about this post is going to be about food then because I also went to lunch with Angee this afternoon at La Taifas, where the waiters dress up in traditional Moldovan costumes. I had some plăcinte there also. It took a couple hours, but that is the European way, no? To sit back, relax, and take your time! Everything I experienced this weekend was beautiful and informative, and everything I ate was delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment