Thursday, August 14, 2014

La Revedere.

As I begin to feel the tendrils of nostalgia for Moldova wrap themselves around me, in my mind's eye I fly back in time to Wednesday, August 6th -the date of my farewell dinner. I had convinced the Mamaligas to cancel/postpone that day's practice in order to make the time to attend my dinner. Unfortunately only Andrei and Sasha could attend. Gero, Raluca, Elena, Tomas, Angee, and Rudi all also graciously came to send me off. 


Nadina!

I had come to dinner almost directly from Liceul to see mentor Nadina one last time and finish up her presentation. We met at La Placinte on Bodoni/Dosoftei amidst a downpour of hail that was setting off car alarms! Not exactly the best start to a farewell dinner but despite the terrible weather we all settled down inside for a comfortable evening. Through dinner I truly enjoyed my conversations with all who came but, although it wasn't apparent, silently dreaded my waning moments in the company of these amazing people. 

We meandered over to the York Pub a couple blocks up Bodoni and I think it was fate that the live band performing at the pub that night played one of my favorite songs -"I Will Follow You Into the Dark." The mood was incredibly lifted for me, at least, for the rest of the night! For the time being I no longer lingered on my forthcoming egress. I lived in that moment, from each new bubble of laughter or smile spreading across one's face. 

To complete the night, Nicu, Maxim, and a few other FLEX program participants came to meet me at the pub. On their way there, they had enthusiastically written me a poem. They took me outside (quite sketchily) to read it to me, and of course, to get those kisses (Don't worry big brother, only on the cheek!)!


I returned home happy, and ready for Angee's farewell dinner the night after! We had dinner again at 513 Bar/Restaurant, to which I arrived late because I was at Lyceul again to see Nadina one last time and was able to be a part of an entertaining game of jeopardy of which I was surprisingly talented at! Vlad, Marina, Rodica, and I spontaneously formed a Staff team and correctly guessed a healthy number of questions! 

Because I arrived almost simultaneously with Sasha, we decided to split a bottle of wine and forgo dinner as it was late. At the bar, Vera gave me and Angee parting gifts of crafted wooden jewelry boxes that smell of Moldova. MulÈ›umesc, Vera! After dinner we (Sasha, Maxim, Angee, Matt, Angee's friend) walked to Valea Morilor for the last time and Angee's friends had bought her a self-light lantern that we lit on the walkway out over the lake and released into the midnight sky of stars. The red-orange sunset hue of the burning lantern was one of the most beautiful sights and we watched it rise above the moon and fade to a pinprick, then disappear. I will remember that forever. 

"Be Spontaneous"

by Nicu, Maxim, Iura, and Felix

We can be your Moldovan heroes,
And share our pillows
Because pillows for us
Are like writing a poem in the trolley bus. 

Emily, before you go,
Guys, could you stay in a row?
Everyone say those 3 magic words: Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle
Because in Moldova that is legal!

A Moldovan experience doesn't end like this,
Everybody needs to get a kiss!
Maxim of course will be the 1st one,
Come on Emily, it's going to be fun!

We will miss you very much,
But it is okay, we will stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment