Thursday, July 24, 2014

Ce face? (What are you doing?)

I want to update about the things I am doing for the Hospice and also elaborate on some other projects I’ve taken up in the past couple weeks.

Since the Quiz Night at Gallo Pub, there has not been much activity back at the Hospice; it is mostly preparing for the next quiz night, and I am continuing to publicize information about the Hospice as well as the care we provide and newly developed research being performed concerning end-stage diseases and illnesses.

I have also been planning a Charity Run in Hospice Angelus’ name either in October or a weekend in April 2015. I have looked into the necessary permits with the Town of Bethlehem and developed an idea of how I want the run to be organized, as well as contacted the Running Club at Lehigh, who gave me their enthusiastic support and will also be getting in touch with Lehigh Valley Roadrunners, Running World, and Lehigh’s Cycling Club! My run has been included in the Hospice’ annual budget!
Apart from Hospice, I have also begun working with Abayomi (Aba) Ogundipe, a fellow volunteer currently in Moldova for a short time. He has since included myself and Angee with launching a website platform volunteer.md, which will give potential volunteers and NGOs looking for volunteers the opportunity and means to connect with each other easily in Moldova. The volunteers and NGOs complete questionnaires that define their values, schedule preferences, location, skills, and volunteer interests. We will be holding an informational and training session on August 5th, just before Angee and I depart for the U.S. The session will take place at the event building Artico on Blvd. Stefan cel Mare and select NGOs and volunteers as well as possible trainers in volunteer management will be attending the meeting.

Since going bowling with the FLEX program, I have been able to visit the Lyceum a few more times to connect with the staff and kids in the program. Yesterday I went to their “American picnic” which featured PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES!!!!!!! I had my first PB&J in a month and a half!

But coming back to the topic on hand, Marina Buciuc, the program coordinator, asked me a couple of days ago if I would like to become a mentor for one of the new students. Of course I accepted!!!! I was so honored that she asked me!!! I was worried that I my schedule would be unacceptable, as I would be leaving about a week before my mentee does for the U.S. But Marina said this would not be a problem so I met Nadina from Bosnia last night. She is blind but this does not hinder her personality and I am so happy to be her mentor! I’ll be meeting her again tonight from 7-9pm, and every Tuesday and Thursday from now on until I leave.


I will miss all the people I have met here very much but I thank them for the experiences and memories they’ve given me so far and will continue to give me until I am gone!


No comments:

Post a Comment