Thursday, July 10, 2014

Some work and some disappointment...

This week is busy for the Hospice! On Monday night we had our Tune My June wrap-up party in order to thank all the sponsors and beneficiaries. Hosted by the Austrian Embassy just down the road, we went to set up our banners, pamphlets, and HOS-Mascots.  We had a great cover band playing as well as the bartender from Buffalo Steakhouse making a green martini for us, to represent the HOS-Mascots. We also had catering providing a great dinner including many Moldovan foods, like sarmale, cladita, whole roasted fish, many roasted vegetables, and chicken kebobs. The champagne was also very good.

At the party I met many people, such as more hospice workers and volunteers, people from embassies, and notably the lead actor from Pretty in Pink, the play we received a portion of funds from. I also met Tim, an embassy worker who is half Philippine and Chinese. We reminisced on the lack of Chinese food and Asian food in general! I came home that night around 10pm and exhausted! I didn’t realize how much I had been standing in my heels until I tried to walk home. My feet hated me!

The next day was the highly anticipated football game between Brazil and Germany. Of course, you all know what happened. I was walking a bit late to the viewing center when Germany scored their first goal, about 10 minutes into the first half. At the time, I was so happy for them!! The underdogs coming out to make the match interesting! When I arrived at the Opera House viewing center, I couldn’t find my friends as it was absolutely packed so while I waited for Tony to come meet me, I distractedly watched, and then Germany scored their second goal! People went nuts. I couldn’t believe it!! How was it happening!?

By halftime, I was watching the dejected Brazilian fans on the screen and couldn’t help but sympathize deeply with them. My freshman year at Lehigh, when Gravity (Lehigh Women’s Ultimate team) competed at the Sectionals tournament in April, we began the tournament with a confident mindset and of the belief that we would win our game against Messiah to advance to Regionals. We came in behind Messiah right behind the last team to qualify for Regionals. Heartbroken, I broke down in tears alongside my captains. Luckily, we were able to attend Regionals as Bucknell withdrew. I don’t think that is going to happen with Germany in the World Cup.

People were beside themselves with joy at the center, but all I could feel was compassion. I don’t think anyone else understood what Brazil was feeling and had any pity for them. I enjoyed my early morning walk home to contemplate on thoughts feely feels…

Mirjam (from Germany) was happy that night!

Anyhow, I felt as though I was reliving that game I played and the aftermath that night, and it was a struggle! I went home and even wrote a poem about my experience! Which will not be making it onto this blog, as I’m not that ready to share my most nerdy side. Keeping this blog is enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment