Sunday, July 20, 2014

Show the world we are one!!

Putting my rollercoaster of emotions aside, I have MULT to catch up on! Let us begin with Sunday night: the World Cup 2014 final match. I had been planning to watch the match with some EVS volunteers but that afternoon during bowling, Nicu kindly invited me to watch it with his friends. I arrived about 20 minutes into the first half and the stadium was, if it’s possible, more packed than it was for the semifinal. All the benches and opera house steps were crammed full of people. A mass of people were also standing on either side of the center, ready to sacrifice their leg comfort to witness the closing match. I arrived at Nicu’s table and met many of his friends, including Maxim and Octavian. Maxim was a FLEX alumnus while Octavian was someone they had met only recently.

I enjoyed myself very much at the match. The people I was with at my table were closer to my age than most of the EVS volunteers (at least I’m assuming so) and subsequently, I felt I could connect with them more personally and experientially.


Well as usual, I didn’t care so much about the football, but it was so elating to hear a thousand bodies and voices rising up and cheering or groaning at every scoring attempt or misfortune that befell the German team (almost no one present was in support of the Argentina…). I hope this video works!


After Germany’s late goal, we (myself, Angee, Nicu, Maxim, and Octavian) skipped out just ahead of the mass exit, and headed to Eli Pili for a late-night snack (aka a second dinner).  There I enjoyed one of my best nights in Chisinau. I was in the company of people I felt truly comfortable talking with.  Who can tell exactly what our conversation concerned? I only remember my content!

No comments:

Post a Comment