Wednesday, July 9, 2014

So little ketchup...It makes me sad

Belated Happy 4th from Moldova!!! I have to admit I did not celebrate as much as I intended to. My grand plan for Independence Day was to leave the Hospice at 1pm, get on a maxi taxi and go to the American Councils celebration around 1:30, then attend the US Marines party after. None of those plans bore any fruit. What actually happened: I ate lunch with Raluca, Marina, and Diana, the two new interns, at Buffalo Steakhouse. The highlight of my celebration was the burger and fries I ordered!

I proceeded to get on a maxi taxi, number 103, which I then rode all the way to the headquarters. Being the only one left on the taxi, the driver attempted to communicate with me where I needed to go, and pointed me onto the right taxi. I then rode around for another thirty minutes before beginning to recognize road names again. Being fed up with those taxis, I got off and subsequently went to Tucano’s and ordered a nice iced coffee to soothe my frustration.

I ended up going to an outdoor bar right next to my house called Paluba which had the football match on. There were about fifty US Peace Corps volunteers celebrating the 4th in true American fashion: drinking, eating, and disrupting the peace! They definitely did not fall short of identifying themselves and the occasion for celebration as all of them were wearing some wild combination of red, white, and blue. Although I could have joined them I wasn’t feeling the same sense of national pride so I sat with some EVS friends on the side and learned how to play Gobb It!


It certainly is much more difficult to celebrate one’s holiday when the vast majority of people around you don’t acknowledge it!

No comments:

Post a Comment