Thursday, July 17, 2014

Iubesc Moldova!!!

Marina’s weekend trip for this weekend was to go on a tour scheduled for students with the FLEX (Future Leaders Exchange) program. FLEX allows privileged high school student from Eastern European countries like Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Romania to study for one year in the States with a host family. Before the leave this particular group will spend one month in Moldova improving their English.

For the tour we took a bus around the city and learned about certain monuments and memorials. Fun fact: Moldova has only ONE equestrian statue, of Grigorii Kotovski, a participant in the Russian civil war. Also, the maker of this bust of Mihai Eminescu incorporated his own profile that can be seen from when standing behind the bust. We also went to the WWII Memorial that tends an eternal flame for everyone who gave up his or her lives. Each pillar represents one year of the war’s presence in Moldova.

We ended the tour at the MallDOVA, and because I had enjoyed meeting all the students and staff so much, I decided to stay to socialize more with them. We went to MacDonald’s in the mall, so the kids could experience American culture. Apparently some of them have never had MacDonald’s!! I could not believe it! After lunch they all went bowling and offered me a spot on a team as well but I desisted as I’m lousy at bowling. Instead I spent the first hour or so talking to Vladian from eastern Russia. He is disabled in his lower extremities and uses a cane to get around, but he impressed me in that he accepts his condition and continues to strive towards his goals nevertheless. I respected his drive and passion about the things he loves or future ambitions. He enjoys music and photography, and keeps a public Facebook page with pictures of himself! I never got to asking for his full name so I still can’t find it. He’s a bright young man with a bright future!

Eventually I grabbed some coffee as I was burning out, and took a turn at bowling for Nicu, one of the counselors. I made a strike!! (Sadly, all my other attempts did not end so well). The other counselors were Marina (coordinator), Rodica, Vlad, and Dragalina. All are FLEX alumni who are now mentors for those currently completing the program. It turns out that Dragalina spent her year in the States in Marlborough, attending Marlborough high school!! The world is always smaller than we think!




I had a great day and learned so much about FLEX, American Councils, and different people’s lives and experiences. The greatest part about traveling is meeting someone new and traveling to their world through their descriptions without ever needing to leave their side!

No comments:

Post a Comment